Strength coaches often take the weight room for granted. But what would you do if you did not have access to a bar and weights? On this week’s podcast we look at strategies to get stronger without weights. In addition, we tackle the latest listener questions.
To start out the episode we look answer some listener questions on Bondarchuk and Bosch. Then we dive into the topic at hand: training without weights. To start with, we looked at whether you can even achieve a high level without entering the weight room:An athlete can reach a high level w/o standard lifting. You can get your tonnage in other ways. Click To Tweet There is no need to have weights just to have weights. If you improve w/o them, keep doing it. Click To Tweet Even with just one weight session a week you can get a lot stronger. @nick_g_garcia Click To Tweet
Lots of other means are available: kettlebells, dumbbells, medicine balls, and more. Nick and Martin discuss ideas on how to use each of these, but the key is you have to be creative. The process of analyzing this problem will improve you no matter what solution you choose.Don't think of what you can't do, think of what you can. @bingisser Click To Tweet If you put that much thought into things, you'll already be ahead of 90% of your competition no… Click To Tweet
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Learn more about variation and other planning topics at our upcoming seminar in London on May 20 with John Kiely and myself. We will discuss topics like periodization, performance, planning, and more in detail, including real world examples of smart planning in practice. Register early at a discount. Kiely was also a guest on Episode 48 of the podcast.
- Don’t forget to join HMMR Plus. Sign up and you can also get access to our new webinar on medicine balls, plus all our other webinars, online meetups, articles, our sports science newsletter, and more.
- Medicine ball training, plyometrics, and a proper warm up can all help you get stronger without a bar. To see some example workouts and circuits, sign up for HMMR Plus and get access to the HMMR Classroom and video e-Courses on medicine ball training, multi-jumps, and more that can be directly implemented in your training.
- instagram links: VIDEOS OF CIRCUITS, REST EXERCISE
- For more information on the listener question on Bondarchuk, check out HMMR Classroom Lesson 1 which outlines Bondarhcuk’s periodization. For more information the listener question about Bosch, read my article “4 Things I Learned from Frans Bosch.” In addition, you can get his book Strength Training and Coordination: An Integrative Approach from the HMMR Store.