All eyes look towards Europe in the soccer world and if you look close enough you will see there are some interesting team sports planning trends gaining momentum. As the High Performance Director for the MLS champions Seattle Sounders FC, Dave Tenney has tried to keep his team on the cutting edge and has looked closely at the new models emerging from Europe. On this episode, we have a discussion with Tenney about the direction periodization is headed and how he has seen successful solutions implemented at various clubs.
Soccer has a reputation, but they have been one of the most forward thinking sports in terms of holistic planning. Some of the most innovative ideas in coaching and strength and conditioning are coming from European soccer and Dave Tenney has sought out the best coaches to learn first hand what is being done. Searching for a new solution started with asking a simple question:America is world class in athlete development, but we're not producing world-class soccer players. Click To Tweet
Tactical periodization and other new planning methods have more in common than you might realize. They are about managing the complexity of sport in an efficient manner:When you talk about new planning methods, the main element is being very efficient with your time. Click To Tweet Holistic planning starts with destroying the silos on your team. Click To Tweet
Athletes are like Rubik's Cube: change one side and others will change whether you want it or not. Click To Tweet Most coaches focus on improving actions; our goal should be to improve interaction between players. Click To Tweet We're collecting good data, but we're not making good decisions. Data is about optimizing decisions. Click To Tweet
To hear more from Tenney you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Don’t forget to join HMMR Plus. Sign up and you can also get access to our new webinar on medicine balls, plus all our other webinars, online meetups, articles, our sports science newsletter, and more.
- You can read about Tenney’s background on the Sounder’s website. You can also find Tenney on Twitter at @DaveTenney as well as SSFC Sports Science (a href=”https://twitter.com/ssfcspsci?lang=en”>@ssfcspsci).
- We posted a written interview with Tenney a few years ago specificity in team sports training, as well as other topics. You can read the interview here.
- Our webinar from earlier this year, as well as the recent GAINcast 61 with John Kiely both look at the future of periodization.
- We discussed the recent New York Times article on tactical periodization. In addition, you can learn more in our interview with John Pryor who helped take the ideas to rugby with Japan’s world cup team. I also took a first look at the topic earlier this year.
- We also discussed some of the work of Frans Bosch. You can get his latest book here, read my interview with him, or become a member to watch our webinar with John Pryor on how to put the ideas into practice.