The information age has brought access to loads of information, but more information can sometimes just make it harder to find something of value. Coaches need a filter to sift through the information. On this episode of the GAINCast we discuss tools and shortcuts we use to evaluate information online.
Highlights and Quotes
Having a filter is essentially about have a list of red flags that might pop up. We discuss many in the episode. Some highlights are below.
- 4:45 – Learn about the author, their influences, the source, and more. Be an informed reader: ask about the author & if they have skin in the game. “
- 13:00 and 25:15 – Training methods with bold claims are less likely to be real game changers. It’s a red flag when one solution is sold as a cure all. In truth the solution depends on the situation.
- 15:00 – Understand the context in which the exercises are used.
- 17:45 – Try it before you buy it. Want to find the value of something you saw online? Try it out yourself first.”
- 20:45 – John Kiely and Steve Magness’s guidelines for detecting BS.
- 21:30 – Look beyond the words. Beware of charlatans: sciency isn’t scientific & you shouldn’t copyright common sense.
To hear more about this topic you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Don’t forget to join HMMR Plus. Sign up and get access to numerous webinars, online meetups, articles, our sports science newsletter, and more. We are also brought to you by GAIN. GAIN Swimming will take place in September. Learn more about it here.
- Steve Magness put together a great blog post a few years ago on his filter. Steve was a guest recently on GAINcast 70 and GAINcast 71.
- Two books mentioned by Vern on this episode: The Real Madrid Way and Pep Confidential.
- John Kiely has also discussed about his filter before. If you want to learn more from him I recommend listening to GAINcast 61 and reading my detailed interview with him.
- Let us know what your filter is on Twitter: @hmmrmedia and @coachgambetta.