Everyone talks about staying in the moment, but few people say how easy it is to fall out of it. Recently the HMMR Podcast discussed how athletes can avoid distractions in training. Coaches can face even more distractions and, as they are not playing the game, it can be even harder to stay present. On this episode of the GAINcast we look at how coaches can help stay present.
To start with, we discussed some tips from Chicago Cubs manager Joe Maddon. On his lineup card during the world series he made a series of notes to himself. We dissect them as an example of best practices.Be present, not perfect. Click To Tweet Do not permit the pressure to exceed the pleasure. Click To Tweet Do simple better. Click To Tweet
In addition, we discuss how coaches can keep their focus:The best coaches can find ways to keep themselves focused. @bingisser Click To Tweet Start the day on offense. Set your own agenda for the day. @WadeWgilbert Click To Tweet Stick to the process, don't worry about the results. Click To Tweet
To hear more about this topic you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Don’t forget to join HMMR Plus. Sign up and get access to numerous webinars, online meetups, articles, our sports science newsletter, and more. Our latest webinar might be of particular interest to distance runners and coaches: Lesson 8: Lifting for Runners.
- GAIN Swimming will take place in September. Learn more about it here.
- Wade Gilbert’s presentation at GAIN prompted this episode. Gilbert was a guest on GAINcast 7. He is a professor at Fresno State University, editor of the International Sport Coaching Journal, and author of the book Coaching Better Every Season: A year-round system for athlete development and program success.
- We discussed in detail some of the strategies Chicago Cubs manage Joe Maddon uses to keep himself focused. You can read more about that in an article from Sports Illustrated.
- The topic of presence was also touched in depth on Episode 109 of the HMMR Podcast where we discussed staying focused.
- This episode topic was also inspired by the other discussions and presentations at GAIN. For more on the presentations, listen to Episode 108 of the HMMR Podcast. For more from other attendees, listen to last week’s GAINcast 72.
- Focus was also a theme of the new book Peak Performance by Brad Stulberg and Steve Magness. The book was discussed recently on GAINcast 70 and GAINcast 71.
- One book recommended by in this episode: Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World by Cal Newport.