Here is some practical actionable advice from an old coach raised in an analog age:
- Leave your iPhone and iPad in the office. Put the Go Pro away.
- STOP! LOOK! LISTEN!
- Heighten and sharpen your observational skills
- Don’t worry about bar speed. Watch the lift
- Turn off the GPS and watch the athlete move – See how they generate those numbers you have been gathering
- Throw away the wellness questionnaire – Talk to the athlete. Get to know them as people.
- Forget the Triphasic workout – all movement involves coordinated eccentric, isometric and concentric muscle action.
- JUST COACH!!!!!
You will be surprised at what you have been missing. Use technology to complement what you do, not to replace it. Know yourself and your athletes, never forget you are coaching people who run, jump, and throw.