We all practice with the intention of getting better. But can we do better at practice? Can we get more out of practice? Changing practice offers the possibility of changing the game. Here are a few thoughts/ideas that will help make practice sticky and more effective:
- Don’t try to replicate the game – distort it. Competition is chaos!
- Use distributed practice.
- Make mistakes – No perfect practice, instead think perfect effort.
- Use interleaving – Leave and come back to it.
- Use games for understanding.
- De-emphasize Drills – Drills do not equal skills.
- Be a twitter coach – Get your point across in 140 characters .
- Learn how to use feedback. When to give immediate and when to delay feedback.