A history of training methods for team sports is essentially a history of adapting individual sports methods to the team environment. We frequently get asked how the methods of Dr. Anatoliy Bondrachuk could be adapted from track and field to team sports. To tackle this question we invited Derek Evely back on the show to exchange some ideas.
Highlights and Quotes
Bondarchuk’s methods work so well for throwers that it begs the question of whether it can be adapted to other sports. In July we hosted a online hangout on this topic for HMMR Plus members. But the discussion was just beginning. Derek Evely is a leading expert on Bondarchuk and training methodology and he joins us for a discussion on this topic.
Basics of Bondarchuk
- 3:00 – A quick introduction to Bondarchuk’s method and issues in adapting Bondarchuk to team sports.
- 8:00 – Can Bondarchuk be adapted to team sports?
Bondarchuk’s Different Methods
- 11:30 – Complex methodology vs. other methods. Bondarchuk’s complex methodology is the most discussed, but not his only approach.
- 16:00 – Advantages of complex methodology. Repeating the same thing leads to a faster peak: “The more you change things, the longer it takes to peak. “
- 18:30 – Why different sports require different methods.
Key Principles and Adapting Them
Implementing With Other Methods
- 34:30 – Implementing portions of Bondarchuk’s methods such as brining consistency to the weight room. “The field of play is chaos, so some consistency in the weight room can be very beneficial. “
- 36:30 – Tactical periodization and methods to better plan the sporting movement.
To hear more on this topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Don’t miss out on all the great content we have on HMMR Media. Join HMMR Plus now to get full access to the site, including webinars on a wide variety of topics, online meetups, articles, our sports science newsletter, and more.
- Our July member hangout discussed this exact topic with Evely, Vern Gambetta, Nick Garcia and other guests. Members can watch the video here.
- You can get in touch with Derek and learn more from him on Twitter at @eveltrak.
- Evely is a contributor to HMMR Media. Check out his page and his biography. We recommend his series on traditional periodization and modern trends in periodization.
- Evely was a guest on Episode 3, where we discussed polarized training methods, and Episode 92 where we discussed the role of variation in training. We also did two written interviews with him, which you can find here and here.
- You can learn more about Bondarchuk’s methods in Lesson 1 in the HMMR Classroom. Several of his popular books can also be found in the HMMR Store.
- Want to support the podcast: check out the presale of our new fashionable and functional t-shirts.