Sometimes it is the simple things we miss that can be the difference makers. On this week’s episode we share 5 simple training ideas that are often overlooked. From single-leg movements to planning backwards, we discuss how each one can help coaches and provide examples of how they can be quickly incorporated into training.
BridgeAthletic builds high-performance training tools for coaches, trainers, physical therapists, and athletes who strive to achieve their potential. The integrated BridgeAthletic platform leverages the power of technology to revolutionize the way performance programs are created, delivered, and tracked. Learn more about Bridge at the start of the episode or by visiting their webpage.
Highlights and Quotes
On this episode we share basic training principles that are often overlooked by coaches, and then provide examples of how to implement them in training. Each one takes little effort but can add substantial value to training.
- 4:45 – The Bridge Minute: athletes post about what they’re doing, not what they did to get there.
- 7:15 – Organization isn’t sexy but it’s vital. There’s no excuse not to be organized, it’s just being lazy. Coaching is like teaching and you need to be prepared for class.
- 14.30 – Single-leg exercises. Most sports are played on one leg, so train on one leg too.
- 16:15 – Nick’s single-leg movement progression.
- 20:00 – Movement. Forget about technique sometimes and just learn how to move. The body will find its own technique.
- 25:30 – Efficiency and multi-joint, multi-plane exercises.
- 29:15 – Are you planning backwards? Do you start planning by asking what the athlete needs, or what you can offer? As jumps coach Jeremy Fischer put it: “If I cannot explain why we are doing something, I’m not doing it. “
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Support the podcast. Tshirts are now available in the HMMR Store. And don’t miss out on all the great content we have on HMMR Media. Join HMMR Plus now to get full access to the site, including webinars on a wide variety of topics, online meetups, articles, our sports science newsletter, and more.
- This month’s focus on HMMR Media is “back to the basics.” We discussed implementing the basics on last week’s GAINcast 85. Stay tuned for more content on this topic in October.
- We mentioned aquabags and Steve Myrland at the start of the episode. We will be posting a webinar with him this month. In the meantime you can get aquabags from the HMMR Store and learn from him on GAINcast 25.
- Related topics were discussed on Episode 68 (organization), Episode 56 (sequencing) and Episode 58 (warming up).