Both Vern and I have been on the road a lot over the past two months, attending conferences across Europe and the US. On this week’s episode we discuss the new connections we’ve made, some key lessons learned from many of the keynote speakers, and more.
Notes and Quotes
We’ve been on the road a lot, btu the three main conferences we have attended recently were the International Festival of Athletics Coaching in Italy, the European Athletics Throws Conference in England, and the Scottish Athletics Coaching Conference. We discuss some of the highlights from each and exchange some other ideas throughout the episode.
- 2:30 – A look at coaching in the heyday of British Athletics.
- 9:30 – What makes a good coaching conference.
- 14:00 – Learning from John Kiely: plan less, prepare more. “The more time you spend planning, the less likely you are to adapt the plan. “
- 17:45 – Learning from Tore Gustafsson: How much time should we spend on traditional strength training? “If we all question how much time we should spend on maximum strength, why do we still default to that? “
- 21:30 – Getting over the either/or dichotomy.
- 25:15 – Drills in training. “Drill for what? Two swings and one turn makes you better at two swings and one turn. ” “Don’t confuse drills with progressions. “
- 26:45 – Learning from Rene Sack: The German way and the current state of coaches education.
- 31:30 – Learning from Alex Wolf: Adaptation and technical models. “Train the adaptation, not the exercise. ” “The 3 As: Align to the model of performance, adaptation-led approach, athlete-centered. “
- 34:15 – Learning from Dale Stevenson.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Don’t forget to join HMMR Plus. Sign up and get access to numerous webinars, online meetups, articles, our sports science newsletter, and more. We are also brought to you by the GAIN Network. Don’t forget to check out the updated GAIN Network site, which includes free video of the opening keynote from GAIN 2017.
- John Kiely has contributed quite often to the site and we just released an in-depth video for members from him on adaptation and stress. You can find a complete list of resources from him and others on the topic here. Adaptation is this month’s topic on HMMR Media; beecome a member so you don’t miss out.
- Scottish Athletics puts on a great conference every year. You can learn more about their courses and conferences here. You can also hear us discuss last year’s conference on GAINcast 32. On GAINcast 34 we also shared the roundtable discussion that ended the conference.
- Rene Sack was a guest on Episode 79 of the HMMR Podcast.
- Dale Stevenson was a guest on Episode 66 and Episode 121 of the HMMR Podcast. We discussed some highlights from his IAAF presentation on GAINcast 81, and his colleague Angus Ross was a guest on GAINcast 83.