The theme this month on HMMR Media is recovery. Recovery is a tricky area to navigate, with decisions often influenced as much by traditions, new technology, or pseudoscience as by research and common sense. On this episode of the GAINcast, Vern walks through the science of recovery, his approach, and what questions coaches need to be asking.
Notes and Quotes
On this episode Vern shares his experience accumulated from decades of coaching different sports. After looking at important questions to ask, he then shares examples of how different answers might lead to different recovery solutions for individual athletes or unique sports.
- 3:30 – Questions to ask about recovery methods: Are you getting a return? Are you doing something because it is effective, or because everyone else is doing it? Are recovery methods stifiling adaptation, or assisting it?
- 8:00 – Teaching athletes to monitor their body. “Soreness is a feedback mechanism for what we did yesterday and the day before. Learn how to read your body and adjust accordingly .”
- 10:00 – The science of recovery. “If you try to find the science behind many recovery methods, it isn’t there. “
- 15:30 – Changes in recovery needs as an athletes age.
- 17:30 – Thoughts on Tom Brady’s new book.
- 19:30 – What are you recovering from and what are you recovering for?
- 21:00 – Determining a rhythm of training to assist in recovery and historical examples of recovery.
- 24:00 – Developing a recovery routine: “If athletes get in tune with their body they will develop a routine of their own. “
- 25:00 – Recovering from contact.
- 31:45 – What did we do for recovery before we discovered recovery? “You have to train first before you can think about recovery. ” “Recovery cannot overcome bad coaching. “
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Don’t forget to join HMMR Plus. Sign up and get access to numerous webinars, online meetups, articles, our sports science newsletter, and more. We are also brought to you by the GAIN Network.
- The theme on HMMR Media this month is recovery and we’ve compiled the input of several top experts on the topics, many of which we referenced in this episode. You can read the thoughts of Mike Bahn, Nick Lumley and Dean Benton. Become a member so you don’t miss out on all the great content.
- One book recommended on the podcsat is Recovery for Performance in Sport by Christophe Hausswirth and Iñigo Mujika.
- We also quotted Bill Sands, sport technologist at the US Ski and Snowboard Association. He was a guest on GAINcast 42.
- Risk adaptation, discussed in the context of non-contact training, is also a topic written about last mont by Craig Pickering.