Testing is a crucial part of training, even more so in the era of big data. On this episode of the GAINcast Vern walks through his approach to testing and shares his best practices. In the end testing is about getting an accurate picture of the athlete so you can determine the way forward. That’s easier said than done, and Vern has learned a few lessons throughout his career about how to making testing more specific, integrated, and motivational.
Notes and quotes
- 5:00 – The status quo of testing. “Training has evolved and technology has advanced, so we need to be more sophisticated in testing too. “
- 8:00 – Using testing for talent identification vs. measuring athlete progress. “There is great value giving the athlete a picture of how they can progress and identify what their strengths and weaknesses are. “
- 14:00 – Using testing to focus athletes and create communication among staff. “How you define the test is how you orient the athlete’s mindset. ” “Whether some test predicts or not is not the value; the value is that testing brings everyone together to discuss the way forward. “
- 18:15 – Limitations to testing day.
- 19.15 – Training is testing and testing is training. “Design the training environment to gauge the athlete’s progress. “
- 22:30 – Lessons learned on integrating testing into training from Anatoliy Bondarchuk. “Testing is just a waste of time if you’ll never do anything with the results. Have a process to make the test actionable. “
- 25:00 – Using physical tests for team selection. “Testing should can be a motivational tool, but it should not be a threat. “
- 29:00 – Additional best practices and resources for testing.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Don’t forget to join HMMR Plus. Sign up and get access to numerous webinars, online meetups, articles, our sports science newsletter, and more. This month’s theme on the site is testing, with contributions from top coaches like Bryan Mann, Craig Pickering, Arno Galmarini, and more to come.
- Vern has also contributed a lot of testing this month. In our latest HMMR Hangout he helped put together a practical testing framework for an amateur rugby club. His post on testing = training and training = testing also explores that topic further.
- Talent identification was discussed in more detail on GAINcast 78.
- Applications just opened for GAIN 2018. Learn more here and we’ll see you in Houston in June.