Fifty years ago this week, Vern finished his last college exam and the world was changing all around him. It was the summer of 1968. On this episode we take a look back at the country in 1968, learning to become a coach, and take a stab and predicting what the next 50 years have in store for sport.
Notes and quotes
Rather than rehashing Vern’s decades of experience in sport, this episode focuses more on the environment and culture that he first learned about coaching in. That environment shaped his career, and it can be helpful to take a look back on both the positive and negative experiences. In addition, we look forward towards the next generation of coaches and the decades to come.
- 1:30 – The political and cultural environment of 1968.
- 8:15 – Learning to coach in the 1960s: “When we studied coaching, we had to design an offense, a defense, and run a practice. We had to play the sports. That is what is missing from current coaches education. “
- 19:30 – A look at emerging sports technology in 1968.
- 28:00 – Looking ahead at the future of coaching: “You can sit back and predict the future, or you can go out and make the future. ” “The best way to predict the future is to invent it. That was the spirit of 1968. “
- 35:00 – The changing role of schools and clubs in youth sports.
- 39:00 – Managing more data: “More data isn’t necessarily bad, but the focus on data is focusing our attention on what’s easy to measure. “
- 42:00 – Understanding injuries and the 24-hour athlete.
- 46:45 – Enhancing connections.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The monthly theme on HMMR Media is the art of coaching, with numerous articles, podcasts, and videos looking at the topic from different perspectives. Join HMMR Plus so you don’t miss all the content on this topic.
- Vern looked back on this topic in an article earlier this week.
- For more on Vern’s coaching journey, listen to our first episode GAINcast 1: The Journey Continues. GAINcast 53 also looks at American football, then and now. He has also gone into more detail about how sport has evolved during that time in a series of posts: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6 and Conclusions.
- To learn more about 1968, you can follow NPR’s series looking back on the year.