Most of our episodes cover topics like training methods, periodization, and sports science. This is just one side of coaching. Good coaches know their sport, but they do more than that. Making the right decision and then communicating it effectively can become an art. On this episode of the podcast we focus on the art of coaching and share some anecdotes from some of our mentors about how they mastered the art of coaching.
Notes and quotes
Throughout the episode we share some stories from coaches like Glenn McAtee, John Godina, Anatoli Bondarchuk, Dale Stevenson, Eddie Jones and more.
- 4:30 – Coaching demeanor in the post-season: “When it gets to the post-season I ask the athletes how they want to practice and what they want to hear. “
- 8:15 – In-competition coaching and lessons from the IAAF World Indoor Championships.
- 10:15 – When to get after athletes: “The main thing is when they do something positive, be positive. When they do something bad it is all the more important to be positive when the do it right. “
Lessons from master coaches
- 12:15 – Ideas on developing confidence and an expectation of success from Glen McAtee.
- 15:15 – Ideas on periodizing positivity feedback from John Godina.
- 16:30 – Examples of developing confidence from Anatoli Bondarchuk.
- 17:45 – Examples of engaging athletes and asking athlete feedback from England Rugby.
- 19:00 – The broken record approach from Anatoli Bondarchuk: “Bondarchuk was a broken record, but that kept you focused on every rep. “
- 23:30 – Examples of communication and teaching from Harry Marra: “The art of coaching comes down to communication. You have to make the right decision, and then you have to communicate it. You can have a complex method, but be able to boil it down to something simple. “
- 26:00 – Final thoughts.
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The site theme in June is the art of coaching, with new content coming from some of the best coaches around. Join HMMR Plus so you don’t miss all the content on this topic, as well as past episodes of the podcast, our deep article archives, video library, and more.
- Some of the individuals we referenced on podcast have been guests on the podcast or written about previously: Harry Marra in a written interview and GAINcast 47, Dale Stevenson on Episode 66, Glenn McAtee on Episode 43, John Godina on Episode 46, and observations from the 2016 World Indoor Championsihps on Episode 42.