The old saying goes “you can’t teach speed.” Or, I should say, that’s how the old myth goes. Not everyone can be Usain Bolt, but everyone can get faster and, no matter the sport, speed is crucial. Unfortunately the topic of speed is surrounded by gurus, myths, and misinformation. Throughout the month we have looked in depth at training speed by cutting through the bullshit and sharing best practices to help coaches learn how to train speed better.
Below you will find an overview of all our new resources on the topic. In addition, we have included links to videos, podcasts, and articles from our archive on the topic. For more, you can also visit the speed topic page on our site.
Resources on training speed
- The importance of sprinting in injury rehabilitation from Craig Pickering
- The role of sprint training for endurance athletes from Carrie Lane
- The search for the best lane from Craig Pickering
- About the speed gene and how gene doping is more complicated than it seems from Craig Pickering
- HMMR Podcast 153: Brian FitzGerald dispels sprinting myths and explains his approach to teaching mechanics
- GAINcast 115: Vern Gambetta’s take on training speed efficiently and effectively
- GAINcast 119: Looking at resisted and assisted sprinting methods
- HMMR Podcast 154: JB Morin explains force-velocity profiling and research on specific strength for sprinting
Archived videos and articles
- HMMR Classroom Lesson 6: Basic Speed – Coach Joe McNab demonstrates speed, acceleration, and start drills.
- HMMR Classroom Lesson 7: Robust Running – A look at building a versatile running skillset with John Pryor.
- Vern Gambetta’s three-part series outlining the mechanics of sprinting: part one, part two, and part three
- Detailed interviews with Pat Connolly (coach of world record holder Evelyn Ashford) and Gary Winckler (coach of world champion Perdita Felicien).
Archived articles and podcasts
- GAINcast 89: Peter Weyand on difference makers in sprint mechanics
- GAINcast 21: Ken Clark on biomechanics of linear speed
- GAINcast 39: Where to start in teaching speed
- GAINcast 16: Understanding speed
- HMMR Podcast 94: Ken Clark on multi-directional speed
- HMMR Podcsat 77: Joe McNab on getting kids fast
- HMMR Podcast 72: Jonas Tawiah-Dodoo on indvidualizing speed training