A lot has been going on in the world of sport over the last month. On this week’s GAINcast, we take a break from normal business to discuss our thoughts on current events, recent trends in sports, and a few rants too. From youth phenoms to the changing role of sports science, we cover a wide range of topics.
Notes and quotes
Throughout the episode we looked at a variety of current events and other timely topics such as terminology, accepting failure, binary debates, and more.
- 2:00 – Thoughts on the IAAF World Junior Championships and transitioning from junior to senior success.
“The World Juniors performances are impressive, but how many will go on to be a factor at the senior level? “
- 7:00 – Barriers to senior success, the anointing problem, and statistics on youth development: “Support the support system rather than just throwing money at talented athletes. “
- 13:00 – Rethinking junior championships and keeping athletes in the sport.
- 15:45 – Binary debates: “In the world we live in, everything has to be black or white, but the answer rarely is that clear. ” “The truth is what works. Just because the coach doesn’t like it doesn’t make a damn bit of difference. “
- 21:30 – Tony Strudwick and the sports science backlash. “By increasing the size of the support team, we’re looking for red flags, reducing actual training and actually increased injuries. The time we spend on injury prevention is not preventing injuries. “
- 28:15 – Gobbledygook, terminology, and clarifying communication.
- 34:30 – What’s the measure of a coach? “It’s about what you do with what you have. If you are going to be sharing online, share your failures as well as your successes. “
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- If you like the podcast, don’t miss our latest book Training Talk: Conversations with a Dozen Master Coaches for more in-depth insights on training from some of the world’s top coaches.
- Don’t forget to join HMMR Plus to get full access to our video, article, and podcast archive here on HMMR Media.
- For more statistics on the success of youth champions on the senior stage, read this recent article in Athletics Weekly on Karla Drew’s research. In addition, I did my own analysis of the hammer throw back in 2012.
- For Craig Pickering’s thoughts on binary arguments and the hamstring debate, read this month’s Sports Science Monthly.
- Tony Studwick’s comments on sports science can be read here/
- For Tony Holler’s post on Gobbledygook, click here. For an example of precise terminology, look at Steve Myrland’s GAINtalk 1: Sticks and straps (with Steve Myrland) or Video Lesson 12: Mini-band exercise library.