All young coaches make mistakes. That is part of the learning process and we sure made our fair share of them. But there is no need to make the same mistakes we made. On this episode of the GAINcsat we reflect on lessons we have learned and share some advice for young coaches.
Notes and quotes
Throughout the episode we covered a variety of topics that young coaches can focus on, such as tips on critical thinking, how to improve communication stills, putting theory into practice, and more.
- 4:15 – Learn to teach: “Coaching is teaching. Good coaches use the principles of good pedagogy. You aren’t going to learn to teach by reading a book. “
- 7:30 – Be prepared to pay your dues.
- 8:45 – Practice humility.
- 10:00 – “Maintain professional distance from your athletes you are not their friend you are their coach. “
- 11:00 – Keep learning: “Whatever you did to prepare youself for the coaching journey is only the beginning. Take every opportunity you can to keep learning and watch other coaches coach. “
- 14:30 – Critical thinking skills.
- 17:00 – Dress professionally.
- 18:00 – Improving communication skills: “The louder you talk doesn’t make the message get across easier. It’s the opposite, people tune you out rapidly. “
- 20:15 – Learn the culture of the sport you are working with.
- 21:30 – Develop a work ethic.
- 23:45 – Theory vs. practice: “Forget a lot of the things you were taught in theory since they aren’t all going to work in practice. The truth is what works. “
- 24:45 – Learn patience and keep it professional.
- 25:45 – The head coach is the boss: be loyal and respectful.
- 26:30 – Coach the person: “If you want respect you have to show respect. “
- 27:45 – Learn from your experiences: “When it is all said and done be sure that you have had as many experiences as possible not one experience many times. “
- 30:30 – No excuses.
- 31:45 – Finding mentors: “Coaches are genereally open to letting you come and visit them. If not, they might now be the coaches you want to learn from anyway. “
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- If you like the podcast, don’t miss our latest book Training Talk: Conversations with a Dozen Master Coaches for more in-depth insights on training from some of the world’s top coaches.
- Don’t forget to join HMMR Plus to get full access to our video, article, and podcast archive here on HMMR Media.
- For more on this topic, read Vern’s post from March.
- Another article referenced was Craig Pickering’s recent post on elite athlete research.
- A few books referenced this episode:
- References on teaching:
- The Playmaker’s Advantage: How to Raise Your Mental Game to the Next Level by Len Zaichkowsky and Daniel Peterson
- Coaching Better Every Season: A Year-Round System for Athlete Development and Program Success by Wade Gilbert
- Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning by Peter Brown, Henry Roediger, and Mark McDaniel.