Having a process to collect feedback is critical, but even more important is the type of feedback you get. If the process is not producing actionable steps to improve or reinforce what you did, it is not doing its job. On this week’s GAINcast we look at how coaches can improve debriefing and other feedback processes to get the information they are looking for to make them better coaches.
Notes and quotes
We started off the episode by looking at the debriefing process, but then explored other more informal ways of collecting feedback, ways to improve the processes, and practical tips.
- 2:30 – Debriefing better: “It is engrained in the Navy Seals culture that in the after-action reviews there is no rank and everyone is encouraged to speak up. “
- 8:00 – Educating the athletes and making feedback processes daily and informal so the athlete feels more comfortable.
- 11:15 – Establishing the athlete relationship. “Let the athlete choose, but review it and reserve the right to ask the athlete why they chose it. ” “Debriefing isn’t about criticism, it is about feedback and improvement .”
- 12:15 – The power of review teams: “To debrief effectively you really need three people so you can get an outside point of view. “
- 15:00 – “Learn from every mission . . . don’t get fooled by the scoreboard. Learn from the losses and the victories. “
- 16:30 – Lessons from Annie Duke and poker.
- 20:00 – Getting better at getting better and controlling the controllables: “It is hard to train more, but we can get more out of what we do. “
- 23:45 – Practical tips: “You want to leave the debrief or after action review with actions. What went well? What could have gone better? And most important: what actionable steps will you take to improve or reinforce what you did? “
- 28:30 – The balancing act involved in debriefing.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Check out our latest book Training Talk: Conversations with a Dozen Master Coaches for more in-depth insights on training from some of the world’s top coaches.
- Don’t forget to join HMMR Plus to get full access to our video, article, and podcast archive here on HMMR Media.
- We have looked at related topics on several episodes. For more, listen to GAINcast 51 on debriefing, GAINcast 101 on testing, GAINcast 20 on getting better at getting better.
- Wade Gilbert is a great resource on this topic. His book Coaching Better Every Season: A year-round system for athlete development and program success is highly recommended. He was also a guest on GAINcast 7 and GAINcast 121.
- One book recommended on this podcast was Annie Duke’s Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don’t Have All the Facts.