You ask and we answer. On this week’s episode we open the mailbag and answer listener questions on topics like microcycles, favorite exercises, key factors outside of training, overload, lessons learned, and more.
Notes and quotes
We answered listener questions on training this week. Stay tuner later this month as we answer more questions on throwing.
- 3:30 – Tips on laying out the week: “There are a million ways to plan out the week. The most important thing is to have a plan, consistency, and structure. “
- 6:15 – What is the most important thing that affects athletes outside of training: “Sleep, stress, and other factors have a big impact on training, but often the root cause of them all is a poor social life. “
- 8:00 – Our four favorite training exercises.
- 11:30 – Thoughts on the new generation of coaches. “Whatever the new generation of coaches is doing is better, just look at the level of competition. With competitiveness comes innovation. “
- 16:00 – Biggest lessons learned over the last five years.
- 23:00 – Rethinking overload. “Strength is not the only thing that can be overloaded. You can overload any aspect of movement. Overload is simply something you haven’t adapted to yet. Think outside the box and find the right type of challenge. “
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Join HMMR Plus so you don’t miss all the content on our site, including past episodes of the podcast, our deep article archives, video library, and more.
- If you like the podcast, don’t miss our latest book Training Talk: Conversations with a Dozen Master Coaches for more in-depth insights on training from some of the world’s top coaches.
- You can hear us answer more Q&A on Episode 126 and Episode 89.