Last week Nick posted an article sharing the templates he uses for traditional training and athletic development. His aim is to train the body from head to toe in all three planes of movement, and he has set up a thorough session and microcycle template to ensure he covers all the bases. On this week’s podcast we dive into more detail on his template to see how he’s put it together, the logic behind exercise sequencing, and how the microcycle fits together to prepare the athlete.
Notes and quotes
In addition to outlining Nick’s training templates, we also share highlights from last weekend’s International Conference of Athletics Excellence where Nick presented several sessions on strength training and throwing technique.
- 3:00 – Highlights from the International Conference of Athletics Excellence. “If there’s one thing I learned from Dan Pfaff, it’s ask yourself why. There is not a right or wrong answer as long as you can answer why. “
- 10:15 – Looking inside Nick’s training template and the value of checklists: “We don’t always have four days to train, so when we train we have to cover all the bases. “
- 13:15 – Sequencing exercises in modules, how exercises can complement each other, and logistical points to consider in templates.
- 18:15 – Planning the microcycle and the interplay between sessions: “By changing the plane of movement in each session, you also by nature build in the chance for recovery from certain movements and reduced loading. “
- 21:00 – Adjusting the microcycle in season and utilizing the rollover concept.
- 25:30 – When to change exercises: “Training is not entertainment, but you have to keep athletes interested and motivated in what you are doing. “
- 29:15 – The limitations of templates: “Templates don’t solve every problem you will face. It is a starting point. You have to make it your own. “
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Join HMMR Plus so you don’t miss all the content on our site, including past episodes of the podcast, our deep article archives, video library, and more.
- If you like the podcast, don’t miss our latest book Training Talk: Conversations with a Dozen Master Coaches for more in-depth insights on training from some of the world’s top coaches.
- Get a look at the template and exercises in Nick’s article “Creating and implementing template-based training.” Also visit the movement library for video of all the exercies from his examples and more from each category outlined in the template.
- For more on related topics, listen to Episode 68 on organization in training and Episode 56 on sequencing.
- Several of the presenters as ICAE have been guests on the podcast including Dan Pfaff, PJ Vazel, and organizer Derek Evely.