How many times have you seen athletes killing it in training only to fall flat on their face in competition? Translating training results to competition results is not as easy as it seems, and a number of factors could contribute to why athletes may fall short on competition day. On this week’s GAINcast we explore this issue and share some examples of how to close the gap.
Notes and quotes
Throughout the episode we discuss reasons why training results might not translate to competition, as well as some ideas and examples of how to address the issue.
- 2:45 – Getting seduce by training: “Training is seductive, there is no pressure and you get caught up in it. We can forget the purpose of training is to prepare for competition. “
- 5:30 – Reasons why training results might not be translating into competition results.
- 6:15 – Finding the competition mindset: “If you wait until you are 100% you will NEVER compete! Understand what you need physically and psychologically to go in the competitive arena and just bring it. Be able to be as good as you need to be on that particular day. “
- 7:45 – Finding consistency.
- 11:45 – Thinking of competitions as opportunities: “Reframe competition as opportunities and training as preparation to take advantage of opportunities. “
- 14:00 – Making training more competition-like and examples of this in practice: “Own the finish. Some part of practice every day needs to be competition simulation. “
- 22:30 – Reflection and debriefing: “Don’t just find a reason for a bad performance, take action. There are very few things in competition that you can’t prepare for. “
- 25:00 – Perfection in training: “Perfect practice does not equal competition results. Sometimes perfect practice sets our athletes up for failure. “
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Check out our latest book Training Talk: Conversations with a Dozen Master Coaches for more in-depth insights on training from some of the world’s top coaches and don’t forget to join HMMR Plus to get full access to our video, article, and podcast archive here on HMMR Media.
- We referenced several other episodes in this GAINcast: GAINcast 106 with Goldie Sayers, GAINcast 51 on debriefing and GAINcast 131 on getting better feedback.
- Clay Erro also discussed about changing the competition mindset in his GAINtalk 3: Team building presentation, as well as GAINcast 90.