Microdosing has become a buzz word over the last year in training circles, but it isn’t a new concept. Small but frequent units of training can add up to provide significant value to athletic development. On this episode of the GAINcast we discuss the concept of microdosing, how it looks like in practice, and how to progress microdosing over the season.
Notes and quotes
After discussing the concept of microdosing in general at the start of the episode, we both shared some of our practical experience on implementing microdosing in different sports and scenarios.
- 2:00 – Trends in microdosing and how Vern came to the concepts as an athlete: “Ten minutes of working on components with specific objectives is the key to microdosing. It is not just throwing stuff together or fitting something in, it is about identifying a need and giving them specific units of training to work on it. “
- 5:00 – Favorite microdosing workouts and how small doses can be effective. “A small training is not effective as a single unit, but training is cumulative and the effect adds up. “
- 7:00 – Modeling and microdosing technical development.
- 9:15 – Integrating microdosing into the training session: “Just like designing a good training program, you don’t want to just throw microdosing together. Look for what is compatible, supplementary and complementary to the overall session. “
- 12:00 – The Bondarchuk method and examples of the cumulative nature of training.
- 13:30 – Examples of microdosing in baseball and basketball and how to fit the pieces together.
- 17:45 – The value of microdosing at different times of the year.
- 18:45 – How to progress microdosing over the week and the season.
- 21:00 – Different elements of training that can be microdosed.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Check out our latest book Training Talk: Conversations with a Dozen Master Coaches for more in-depth insights on training from some of the world’s top coaches and don’t forget to join HMMR Plus to get full access to our video, article, and podcast archive here on HMMR Media.
- GAINcast 138 looks at in-season training also discussed how microdosing can be used for in-season planning.
- For more on microdosing, listen to Bill Knowles on HMMR Podcast Episode 124. He was also a guest on GAINcast 49. James de Lacey also discussed the topic on HMMR Podcast Episode 168.