The first part of training is often the most misunderstood. Warming up isn’t just about getting the body warm, it is about preparing the body and mind for the training session ahead. On this week’s GAINcast Vern walks us through some of his warm ups and discusses the key elements to focus on.
Notes and quotes
It’s been nearly two decades since Vern released his Warm Up DVD, now available to HMMR Plus members. But good training doesn’t get old. Vern shares the key elements of his warm up, as well as his overall warm up philosophy and approach throughout the episode.
- 3:00 – The purpose of warming up: “The warm up is part of the session; it is the initial period of training. The warm up needs to address the objective of the workout and prepare for that. “
- 5:45 – The mental side of warming up, gaining efficiency, and other aspects of warming up: “Don’t jog to warm up. There’s 10 minutes of time wasted unless you are preparing a jogging team. Warming up is a training opportunity that can add up. “
- 9:45 – Balancing routine and new elements in warm ups: “The warmup needs to be dynamic, active, and demand a certain degree of concentration. “
- 11:45 – The role of the coach in the warmup: “Coaches need to be an active participant in warmups. And do your talking before the warm up so they can go from the warmup to the first activity. “
- 13:15 – The basic elements of Vern’s warmups.
- 19:30 – Warming up as an injury prevention tool.
- 20:15 – Stretching in warm up and individualizing the warm up.
- 23:30 – Progression in the warm up.
- 25:45 – Warming up for multiple training sessions and learning how your body reacts.
- 27:30 – Warming up for competition and dealing with unique situations.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The HMMR Media site theme this month is warming up. Join HMMR Plus so that you don’t miss out and get full access to our video, article, and podcast archive here on HMMR Media.
- Our new resources on warming up include Vern DVD (available for members to stream) and a new article from Steve Myrland on progressing the warm up.
- Nick Garcia and Martin Bingisser shared their similar approach to warming up in Video Lesson 2, with some additional warmup movements from Garcia in the movement library.
- The training effect of warming up is also similar to that of microdosing, discussed on last week’s GAINcast 146.
- Our July 2016 member hangout also discussed the topic of warming up, as well as HMMR Podcast Episode 58.
- Steve Myrland has also shared some great exercises that can be integrated into the warmup in Video Lesson 12: Mini-band Exercises and GAINtalk 1: Sticks and Straps.