How do we change how we prepare for the game? Vern has spent his career working on answering this question across a variety of sports. On this week’s GAINcast he shares some thoughts and reflections on how to change the game.
Notes and quotes
- 3:30 – Changing the game.
- 7:00 – Thinking in systems: “People that have a systematic approach get results. People that have a chaotic system can rarely replicate success. “
- 8:30 – Mission statement: “Instill a culture of daily physical preparation that grows & nurtures adaptable baseball athletes who understand the wisdom of their bodies, its ability to self-organize and solve movement problems. “
- 10:00 – “Everything old is new again. Endeavor to learn the history of your sport and preparation for it. “
- 14:00 – Understand the demands of the game and positions.
- 16:00 – Understand the individual athlete: “Understanding the athlete isn’t about doing an FMS screen, but watching them training and play and studying it. “
- 18:45 – Understand injury patterns.
- 21:30 – Prepare for the game: “If we want to really get better at getting better, we have to do more to prepare the athlete so they can practice at a higher intensity level. “
- 23:00 – Sport-specific training, training in season, and additional topics: “Train sport appropriate not sport specific. You don’t have to replicate the movements of the sport, you have to prepare for the movements of the sport. “
- 25:15 – Putting it all together: “Changing the game isn’t exotic, it’s pretty basic stuff. Just cut out the bullshit that’s just making athletes tired and find something you know why you are doing it. “
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The HMMR Media site theme this month is warming up. Join HMMR Plus so that you don’t miss out and get full access to our video, article, and podcast archive here on HMMR Media.
- We have looked in depth at many of the topics discussed in this week’s episodes, such as including analyzing sport demands on GAINcast 17 and individualization on GAINcast 127.