Throughout 2018 we’ve had the chance to sit down and talk shop with some of the world’s top throwing coaches. To close out the year we’ve compiled six of our favorite highlights from our interviews with coaches like Dan Lange, Don Babbitt, John Frazier, Aretha Thurmond, and Mattias Jons, covering a variety of topics like coaching character, communication, individualizing technique, the biomechanics of throwing, and the champion’s mindset.
Notes and quotes
This episodes combines highlights from the following episodes:
- Episode 148 with University of Southern California’s Dan Lange.
- Episode 185 with top Swedish throws coach Mattias Jons.
- Episode 179 with UCLA’s John Frazier.
- Episode 170 with University of Georgia’s Don Babbitt.
- Episode 176 Q&A episode.
- Episode 166 with four-time Olympian Aretha Thurmond.
- 4:30 – Dan Lange episode: “My coaching philosophy is character based: better strong people make better stronger athletes. ” “The coaching is not about me. If you take one ego out of it, there is less conflict immediately. “
- 11:15 – Mattias Jons episode: “It is hard to learn anything if someone tells you all the time what you are doing wrong or right. “
- 15:30 – John Frazier episode: “You cannot have a manufactured technique that everyone has to fit into. “
- 26:30 – Don Babbitt episode: “Don’t limit yourself to coaching one style of throwing. You should be open to understanding movement and there are a variety of different pathways to developing power and it will give you more options. “
- 37:45 – Q&A episode: “The best tip for short throwers: find a technical model based on someone your own size. “
- 45:30 – Aretha Thurmond episode: “Competing at the US championships 2 weeks after childbirth is the culmination of the athlete mentality. It is only something a stupid person would do. Sane people don’t do that. “
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Join HMMR Plus so you don’t miss all the content on our site, including past episodes of the podcast, our deep article archives, video library, and more. If you like the podcast, don’t miss our latest book Training Talk: Conversations with a Dozen Master Coaches for more in-depth insights on training from some of the world’s top coaches.
- For a full list of episodes, visit our podcast archive.
- You can listen to the entire interview featured in this podcast on Episode 148 (Dan Lange), Episode 166 (Aretha Thurmond), Episode 170 (Don Babbitt), Episode 176 (Q&A), Episode 179 (John Frazier), and Episode 185 (Mattias Jons).
- You can also find our favorite resources on throwing here.