Our annual tradition is to start off the year with a combined episode of the HMMR Podcast and GAINcast to discuss the state of training for sports. The whole crew gets together on this episode to talk about some of the issue facing our profession, the recent topics we’ve been studying, and our goals for 2019.
Notes and quotes
- 2:45 – How do we address coaches harming athletes? “Just like school shootings, everyone is up in arms when training sends athletes to the hospital. But months pass and it is back to business as usual. “
- 7:00 – The role of the head coach in such situations.
- 11:00 – Watching practice and making athletes healthier.
- 13:00 – Rethinking conditioning for sports: “Conditioning isn’t just cardio, it’s about being conditioned for your sport. Each sport requires a different condition. “
- 16:30 – Feedback on recent Frans Bosch and John Pryor seminars.
- 19:30 – Copying exercises without context: “If you just do something because you saw it on YouTube you are failing yourself as a coach and failing your athletes. Understand the concepts and give yourself time to decompress. “
- 25:00 – Lessons from Litvinov and rethinking drills. “Drills are not necessarily bad if you know how to prescribe them. They can be valuable in teaching concepts to athletes. “
- 30:00 – Nick’s goals for 2019 and getting athletes to understand the training. “I want to make our training so efficient and so good that athletes realize they don’t need to go elsewhere to get better. “
- 35:00 – Knowing when to make changes in programming. “You don’t return from a seminar and change everything. You have to have time to decompress and if you put something in, you have to take something out. Ask yourself if the new thing is that much better than what you are currently doing.”
- 37:45 – Vern’s goals for 2019.
- 41:30 – Martin’s goals for 2019.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The GAINcast is brought to you by GAIN and HMMR Media. Applications for GAIN are opening next week. More details can be found at www.thegainnetwork.com. Also join HMMR Plus so that you don’t miss out and get full access to our video, article, and podcast archive here on HMMR Media.
- For past state of the sport episodes, listen to GAINcast 98 (2018) and GAINcast 46 (2017).
- We discussed the recent Frans Bosch and John Pryor seminars on this episode. You can hear them as guests on GAINcast 135. For a complete roundup of resources on their work, click here.
- We also talked about Sergej Litvinov’s approach to hammer throwing. You can read his articles on HMMR Media here. We also discussed drills on GAINcast 109 and HMMR Podcast Episode 49.
- Putting exercises in context was a topic in GAINcast 5.