Our annual tradition is to start off the year with a combined episode of the HMMR Podcast and GAINcast to discuss the state of training for sports. The whole crew gets together on this episode to talk about some of the issue facing our profession, the recent topics we’ve been studying, and our goals for 2019.
Notes and quotes
- 2:45 – How do we address coaches harming athletes? “Just like school shootings, everyone is up in arms when training sends athletes to the hospital. But months pass and it is back to business as usual. “
- 7:00 – The role of the head coach in such situations.
- 11:00 – Watching practice and making athletes healthier.
- 13:00 – Rethinking conditioning for sports: “Conditioning isn’t just cardio, it’s about being conditioned for your sport. Each sport requires a different condition. “
- 16:30 – Feedback on recent Frans Bosch and John Pryor seminars.
- 19:30 – Copying exercises without context: “If you just do something because you saw it on YouTube you are failing yourself as a coach and failing your athletes. Understand the concepts and give yourself time to decompress. “
- 25:00 – Lessons from Litvinov and rethinking drills. “Drills are not necessarily bad if you know how to prescribe them. They can be valuable in teaching concepts to athletes. “
- 30:00 – Nick’s goals for 2019 and getting athletes to understand the training. “I want to make our training so efficient and so good that athletes realize they don’t need to go elsewhere to get better. “
- 35:00 – Knowing when to make changes in programming. “You don’t return from a seminar and change everything. You have to have time to decompress and if you put something in, you have to take something out. Ask yourself if the new thing is that much better than what you are currently doing.”
- 37:45 – Vern’s goals for 2019.
- 41:30 – Martin’s goals for 2019.
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Join HMMR Plus so you don’t miss all the content on our site, including past episodes of the podcast, our deep article archives, video library, and more. If you like the podcast, don’t miss our latest book Training Talk: Conversations with a Dozen Master Coaches for more in-depth insights on training from some of the world’s top coaches.
- For past state of the sport episodes, listen to Episode 135 (2018) and Episode 83 (2017).
- We discussed the recent Frans Bosch and John Pryor seminars on this episode. You can hear them as guests on GAINcast 135. For a complete roundup of resources on their work, click here.
- We also talked about Sergej Litvinov’s approach to hammer throwing. You can read his articles on HMMR Media here. We also discussed drills on GAINcast 109 and HMMR Podcast Episode 49.
- Putting exercises in context was a topic in GAINcast 5.