February 2019 in review: plyometrics
In the end, nearly all of sport comes down to speed. Plyometric training is an essential tool to train speed. By focusing on the stretch-shortening of muscle action, plyometric training looks at how to improve speed in a different way than simple weight lifting. This month on HMMR Media we focused on plyometric training, putting together 2 new videos, 1 new podcast, and 4 great articles looking at the topic from different perspectives from plyometric progressions to better variations and plyometrics in rehabilitation.
Below you’ll find links to all our new resources and some highlights from our archives on the topic. As always, become a Plus Member to make sure you get access to all of the vast resources on the site.
» Past themes: see a full archive of our past monthly themes here.
Resources on plyometrics
New video and podcasts
- Proprioceptive plyometrics. Vern Gambetta’s classic DVD on plyometric training is available for members to stream.
- GAINcast Episode 155: Jump around. Ideas on best practices for plyometric training.
- February 2019 Hangout: Plyometrics and jumping
- Understanding and training vertical jumping performance by Warren Young
- Adding variation to plyometric training by Martin Bingisser
- The lost art of bounding and speed bounding by Warren Young
- The role of plyometrics in injury rehabilitation by Leigh Egger and Peter Colagiuri
- HMMR Classroom Video Lesson 4: Multi-jumps. Nick Garcia demonstrates and explains his jumping progressions.
- HMMR Podcast Episode 181: Jumping high with UK Athletics senior high jump coach Fuzz Caan
- HMMR Podcast Episode 130: Personalizing the plan with US Olympic Training Center jumps coach Jeremy Fischer
- HMMR Podcast Episode 180: Flying high with Swiss national pole vault coach Herbert Czingon
- HMMR Podcast Episode 88: Jumping