In the world of sport, I doubt there is anything more loathed than national governing bodies. On the one hand, they have a difficult job since no matter how hard they try, it is impossible for them to make everyone happy with limited resources. But on the other hand, they often shoot themselves in the foot before they start to do anything. This is why it has been surprising for us to her near universal acclaim for what is going on at USA Weightlifting. On this week’s episode CEO Phil Andrews come on to discuss the organization’s strategy to grow the sport and some key lessons he has learned in three years on the job.
Notes and quotes
Phil Andrews joined USA Weightlifting in 2013 as Director of Events & Programs and was promoted to CEO in 2016. Andrews comes from a diverse background that most recently included helping host and operate the USOC training base in London prior to the 2012 Olympics, as well as various other roles in event planning, ice hockey, and real estate.
- 3:00 – The path to USAW.
- 6:45 – How to be an effective outsider: “Being an outsider is only an advantage when you take the time to learn the sport and listen to the people in the sport . . . if you want to make change, you have to respect the history of that sport, its people, and where it is. “
- 12:45 – Capturing momentum.
- 16:00 – American coaches.
- 17:45 – Decentralizing the development model: “The best model is: you got this athlete from 0 to world class, so it can stand to reason you can continue to develop that athlete. “
- 23:30 – Growing the coach with the athlete: “To be successful at that you can’t just parrot what another coach is doing. “
- 28:30 – USAW funding model and sources of revenue: “You can’t expect a guy to dedicate his life to winning medals if they have to worry about paying their rent a the end of the month. “
- 35:45 – How federations can support up and coming coaches.
- 38:30 – How an NGB can contribute to the fight against doping.
- 45:15 – The power of belief after doping and reframing goals.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The GAINcast is brought to you by GAIN and HMMR Media. This month’s site theme is the barbell. We’ll have some interviews with top lifting coaches, as well as insights on how to use and not use the barbell in training throughout the course of the month. Join HMMR Plus so that you don’t miss out and get full access to our video, article, and podcast archive here on HMMR Media.
- You can reach out to Andrews on Instagram (@a.phil).
- We haven’t had many NGB leaders on the show before, but we have covered weightlifting quite a bit on our sister podcast. Check out HMMR Podcast Episode 147 with Wil Fleming, and Episode 82 and Episode 131 with Matt Foreman.