Our mailbag is full, so it’s time to go through some listener questions about a variety of topics. On this week’s episode we dive into questions on the barbell, peaking, explicit coaching, throwing technique, and how much strength is enough.
Notes and quotes
- 3:00 – Finding the right thing to lift and ideas on using different implements in different scenarios: “Some say you must use kettlebells or you must do cleans. No you don’t. There are few absolutes in lifting. “
- 7:00 – Finding the right tool to meet the athlete’s age, development, and situation.
- 10:30 – Peaking: “It’s no coincidence that top coaches consistently get more out of their athletes when it counts. The whole goal of training is to get athletes perform when it matters. If peaking is a myth then what are we here for? “
- 20:15 – Measuring training effect versus maturity: “Of course improvement is important for young athletes, but stabilization often just as important but frequently overlooked.”
- 25:30 – Active coaching vs. changing the environment. “Contraints-led training is great, but don’t forget there are still times that call for explicit coaching. “
- 28:30 – Fouling out the front of the ring.
- 31:30 – Strength: “How strong is enough? That’s the wrong question. Rarely is strength been a limiting factor to the next step. Take it one step at a time and you’ll get the strength you need in the long run. “
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- This month’s site theme is the barbell. We’ll have some interviews with top lifting coaches, as well as insights on how to use and not use the barbell in training throughout the course of the month. Join HMMR Plus so that you don’t miss out and get full access to our video, article, and podcast archive here on HMMR Media.
- You can hear us answer more Q&A on Episode 176, Episode 174, Episode 143, Episode 126 and Episode 89.