After every season, Nick and I informally look back on how training has gone, what went went well, and what didn’t. In this year’s debrief we look at changes to our warm ups, integrating specific strength, better implementing the Bondarchuk system, lessons on remote coaching, and more.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Learning where to improve.
- 4:00 – Interacting more specific strength.
- 10:30 – New athletes on the Bondarchuk method: “When starting the Bondarchuk method, it is better to use a program too long than too short so you can learn a bit more about the athlete. “
- 13:30 – Cumulative effect of training: “We always think we need a certain volume of throws, but if you have a decade of experience you don’t need that same number. “
- 15:00 – Finding a new warm up. “There are so many things to choose from for the warm up. Training is not entertainment, but we can do a better job of variation in the warm up. “
- 19:00 – Remote coaching: “A mediocre coach every day will likely be better than a great remote coach. ” “The key to coaching remotely is good feedback. You need to get feedback about how training is going, how the athletes feels, what works, and what doesn’t. “
- 21:00 – Peaking and moving away from individualization
- 23:30 – Once you miss a week of training you can’t get it back. Just keep going where you jump back in.
- 25:00 – Implementing mid-year rest phases.
- 27:00 – Consistency and getting older.
- 31:00 – Rethinking daily training themes.
- 34:00 – Learning from other systems: “Coaches might teach a system, but that doesn’t mean you have to incorporate the whole system. You can pick and choose and put things into your own system to fit your athletes. “
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- This month’s site theme is the reflective coaching, with some great content lined up for the coming weeks. Join HMMR Plus so that you don’t miss out and get full archive and resource library here on HMMR Media.
- This isn’t the first time we’ve looked back at our own coaching. You can hear our other debriefs on HMMR Podcast 169, HMMR Podcast 117 HMMR Podcast 110 and HMMR Podcast 71.