December 2019 in review: reactive strength
This year we’ve produced 12 great monthly themes. To close out the year our final theme in December was reactive strength. Earlier in the year we looked at a similar topic: plyometrics. In December we wanted to take a broader look at the concept of reactive strength. Plyometrics is one way to train reactive strength, but not the only way. And we also wanted to dig deeper into what exactly it is, rather than just talking about exercises. The end result was 3 new podcasts and 4 new articles on the topic from 7 contributors.
Below you will find links to our new resources on the theme. As always, become a HMMR Plus Members to get complete access to all of the resources below, including the premium content in the HMMR Classroom.
» Past themes: see a full archive of our past monthly themes here.
- HMMR Podcast Episode 211: Reactive throws with René Sack
- GAINcast Episode 177: Training tendons with Keith Baar
- HMMR Podcast Episode 213: Year-end mailbag
New videos and podcasts
- The complete guide to the Reactive Strength Index by Warren Young
- Making your throws training more reactive by Martin Bingisser
- Mitigating risk in reactive strength training by Domhnaill Fox
- More thoughts on reactive strength by Martin Bingisser
- Training talk with Gary Winckler
- Understanding and training vertical jumping performance by Warren Young
- The role of plyometrics in injury rehabilitation by Leigh Egger and Peter Colagiuri
- The lost art of bounding and speed bounding by Warren Young
- Adding variation to plyometric training by Martin Bingisser
Archived videos and podcasts
- Proprioceptive plyometrics. Vern Gambetta’s classic DVD on plyometric training is available for members to stream.
- HMMR Classroom Video Lesson 4: Multi-jumps. Nick Garcia demonstrates and explains his jumping progressions.
- HMMR Podcast Episode 181: Jumping high with UK Athletics senior high jump coach Fuzz Caan
- HMMR Podcast Episode 180: Flying high with Swiss national pole vault coach Herbert Czingon