Looking back to move forward may at first seem counterintuitive, but by looking back you can gain perspective. On this week’s GAINcast we look ahead towards a new year and a new century. But to do so we first look back and discuss how we can mine our own experiences and the experiences of others to see what the future of training entails.
Notes and quotes
- 2:00 – Gaining perspective: “In rowing, in order to move towards the finish line, you have to look back at a focal point. That is a good metaphor for how we move forward in coaching and life. “
- 6:00 – Overreacting to good and bad workouts. “In my first 10 years of coaching I’d be sky high with a great workout, and in the depths of depression after a bad workout. But it’s not about one workout; keep everything in perspective. “
- 9:00 – Different generations of coaches and athletes: “People say today’s generation won’t do the things our generation did. That’s not true. You just have to frame it differently. “
- 14:45 – How to evaluate past ideas to see what need to come back: “Have a methodology for evaluating past methodology. Not everything from the past is gold. Look for systems and systematic approaches. “
- 20:00 – Understanding context: “Old training videos can be really cool to watch, but cool doesn’t always make you better. Times have changed. “
- 23:00 – The history of strength and conditioning.
- 26:30 – Ideas from John Jesse.
- 28:00 – The experimental phase of athletic development history and getting away from bodybuilding as an influence.
- 33:00 – Overcoming the bias of looking at champions for answers.
- 36:00 – Finding the inflection point: “Analytics might give us a reason why a technique might work, but it doesn’t give us the actual technique. “
- 39:15 – Criteria for evaluating systems: “4 questions to evaluate a training system: Is the system principle-based? Is it grounded in pedagogy? Is it informed by science? Is it proven and testing in competition? “
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The GAINcast is brought to you by GAIN and HMMR Media. Registration for GAIN 2020 will open up in mid-January.
- This month’s theme on HMMR Media is the future of training. Stay tuned for more on the topic throughout the month and join HMMR Plus so that you get full access to our video, article, and podcast archive here on HMMR Media.
- Vern also covered this topic in a blog post today.
- You can learn more about a few of the classic training ideas we discussed in the episode: Mach sprint drills and training ideas from John Jesse.