Each year we try to get a little bit better, and looking back at 2018 I think we achieved that goal. Throughout the course of 2019 our 27 contributors produced 52 new podcast episodes, over 300 articles, 11 premium video lessons, 12 monthly themes, over 120 research articles summarized in our Sports Science Monthly reports, 4 member hangouts, and dozens of new exercises in movement library.
To help you sort through all the great content, we’ve assembled our top 30 articles, 10 podcasts, and 5 videos from the year, as well as some more highlights and links. If you want more, you can browse our archives and also check out our top content from 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Become a HMMR Plus member to get access to everything in our site archives.
Videos, podcasts, and themes
Each month this year we focused on a different monthly theme. Find links to each monthly theme below, as well as our top new videos and podcasts. For more videos, become a HMMR Plus member and visit the HMMR Classroom.
Top new video lessons
- GAINtalk 8: Total speed – Basic speed concepts and drills in this full-length DVD from Vern Gambetta.
- Lesson 21: Rebuilding the foundation – Steve Myrland walks through his NHL offseason training approach and programming with his athlete Jack Skille.
- GAINtalk 6: Proprioceptive plyometrics – Vern Gambetta’s plyometric exercises and progressions.
- Lesson 19: Wrestling – Wrestling coach Andy Stone shares ideas of how wrestling concepts can be integrated into training for other sports.
- GAINtalk 7: Foundations of movement and rhythm – Greg Thompson shares ideas from the PE classroom about teaching movement and rhythm.
Our roster of world-class coaches contributing to HMMR Media has grown to 27 this year, including 5 new authors: Leigh Egger (rehabilitation physiotherapis, Feyenoord Rotterdam), Chris McCormick (Director of S&C for Olympic Sports, Florida Atlantic University, James Marshall (Head Coach, Excelsior Athletic Development Club), Tracy Fober (Owner, Iron Maven Performance), Domhnaill Fox (Physiotherapist, Sports Medicine Ireland).
We’ve categorized our most popular articles by topic below.
- Taking leg circuits to the next level by Martin Bingisser
- Why athletes should avoid the bars by Steve Myrland and How we use the barbell and how we can use it better by Tracy Fober
- Bosch made simple by Martin Bingisser
- Debunking the myth of core stability by James de Lacey
- The circuit training rule book by Vern Gambetta
- Training talk with John Thrush Part 1 and Part 2 by Martin Bingisser
Speed and sprinting
- Track speed vs. team speed by Nick Lumley
- Sprinting: the ultimate strength training exercise by Martin Bingisser
- The anatomy of a team sport speed session by James de Lacey
- Does sprint training “inoculate” athletes against hamstring injuries? by Warren Young
- Understanding and training cocontractions in high intensity movement by Leigh Egger and Huub Habets
- The hamstring paradox by Vern Gambetta
- Understanding and training vertical jumping performance by Warren Young
- The complete guide to the Reactive Strength Index by Warren Young
- The lost art of bounding and speed bounding by Warren Young
The art of coaching
- An introduction to using games in training by Martin Bingisser
- A case study in holistic exercise design with Jean-Pierre Egger
- Why a technical philosophy is more important than a technical model by Martin Bingisser