HMMR Media was officially founded in 2013, but its roots trace back to the personal blog I started in 2007. During the past decade we’ve grown from one contributor (me) to 27 authors. We’ve posted thousands of articles, podcasts, and videos. And we’ve learned a lot about training throughout the whole process. Below are some highlights from the past decade on HMMR Media.
Top videos and articles
Two things jump out to me when looking at the most popular content from the last decade. First, 80% of the articles were from the second half of the decade, which is a sign of both the diversity of opinions we’ve recruited and the growth of the site. Second, most of the articles were written by my, but nearly every one reflects one a key lesson learned over years from some of my mentors and the credit goes to them first: Bondarchuk, Gambetta, Bosch, and more. You can also see those influences in our most popular videos.
- Lesson 7: Robust running (with John Pryor)
- Lesson 1: The Basics of Bondarchuk
- Lesson 15: Hip lock (with Frans Bosch)
- GAINtalk 6: Proprioceptive plyometrics (with Vern Gambetta)
- Lesson 13: Leg circuits
- The Gambetta leg circuit
- Simplifying Bondarchuk
- 4 things I learned from Frans Bosch
- Sprinting: the ultimate strength training exercise
- Bosch made simple
- Thoughts on training agility for soccer
- What exercise classification can and can’t do for your training
- An introduction to using games in training
- Talking tactical periodization with Dean Benton
- Preparing athletes for impact
Top podcast episodes
We’ve produced nearly 400 podcast episodes at HMMR Media. Below are the top five most downloaded episodes of both the GAINcast and HMMR Podcast. One theme you see is that speed is king: 70% of the top episodes focus on training speed.
- GAINcast 104: Polarized training (with Stephen Seiler)
- GAINcast 89: How Speed Happens (with Peter Weyand)
- GAINcast 61: The Future of Periodization (with John Kiely)
- GAINcast 165: Minimalist training (with Tony Holler)
- GAINcast 135 and GAINcast 136: The anatomy of agility (with Frans Bosch and John Pryor)
Top articles by year
Below are the most popular posts for each year in the past decade. Frequently, the most popular articles online are not always the best, but we’re happy to see some of our best content also get the audience it deserved over the years.
Our first in depth look at the training methods of Anatoliy Bondarhcuk.
Jean-Pierre Egger created a legend with Werner Günthör. We published the first ever English interview with him about the training behind Günthör and Valerie Adams. A look behind this three-part interview also included a compilation of additional resources on the work of coach Egger.
Busting the myth of the Litvinov workout and showing why we need to take a more critical look at the programs we find online.
Breaking down what types of bodies succeed the most in throwing, and what might cause greater variation in the women’s throwing events.
Nick Garcia shares his favorite specific strength exercises for shot put.
Leading rugby coach John Pryor looks at the training the led to the most historic upset in the history of the World Cup. This interview was the beginning of a great relationship between HMMR Media with Pryor.
A look at four key take-aways from Frans Bosch’s book Strength Training and Coordination: An Integrative Approach. A follow-up article on this topic was also posted in 2018.
Agility and change of direction ability often get confused. Professor Warren Young explains how understanding the difference can help you train both better.
A look at tactical periodization with one of the front runners in bringing new planning concepts to rugby.
Some thoughts inspired by our GAINcast with Tony Holler about the peripheral benefits of high speed running.