Coaches often aim to get better at various facets of training. One thing we forget: we can also get better at learning. On this week’s GAINcast we share lessons learned on learning, how to improve what you get out of reading, and much more. We also include references to our recent books, articles, and podcasts that can jump start your learning.
Notes and quotes
- 2:30 – Rethinking how we read books: “I am consciously trying to read less books, but the ones that I like I read, then reread with underlining and annotations.”
- 6:30 – Time management: “Forget managing your time, manage your attention. Multitasking doesn’t work.”
- 8:00 – Reading and journaling tips from Martin.
- 9:30 – Learning from connections and the intersection of ideas.
- 13:00 – Good coaching is a creative process. I don’t know many top coaches that are paint by numbers.
- 16:00 – Learning by watching.
- 20:00 – Finding the gem coaches.
- 23:00 – Podcasts and learning and recommendations.
- 29:00 – social media and the internet
- 32:30 – Future of internet learning: making connections
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The GAINcast is brought to you by GAIN and HMMR Media. Applications for GAIN are now open and you can learn more here, including links to all our past interviews with faculty members, registration information, and more. GAINcast 179 also gives you a sneak peek at GAIN 2020.
- Some books recommended in this episode: The Medici Effect by Frans Johansson and The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.
- Some podcasts recommended on this episode: Dolly Parton’s America, Cautionary Tales, The Art of Manliness, Finding Mastery, and Sound Opinions.
- Some articles recommended in this podcast: “Productivity isn’t about time management, its about attention management,” “The future of America’s contest with China,” Seth Godin’s blog, and our own Sports Science Monthly column.
- For some book recommendations, check out Vern’s book picks for 2019.
- Prior episodes mentioned in this podcast: GAINcast 131 with Lachlan Penfold (including more from Penfold in the GAINtalk 4 video), GAINcast 177 with Keith Baar, and HMMR Podcast 214.