Are you coaching your athletes to be adaptable or adapted? Resilient or fragile? The adaptable athlete is like the jungle tiger that is put in an environment that requires learning in order to grow. The adapted athlete is like the zoo tiger, living a comfortable life without challenge. The environment is key and Vern Gambetta breaks down how we can shape the training environment to develop adaptable athletes in his recent GAIN Master Class. This week’s GAINcast shares a panel discussion on the topic with Vern, me, Jimmy Radcliffe, and Chris Webb.
Notes and quotes
The GAIN Master Class Series features monthly speakers, panel discussions, and practical training videos. This week’s GAINcast features the panel discussion from the first event in May. The event also included a presentation from Vern Gambetta and included video examples of lunge and reach progressions. On the panel with Vern and me were Jimmy Radcliffe (University of Oregon) and Chris Webb (Fort Collins Area Swim Team).
- 4:00 – Knowing when to pick up where you left off and when to go back to the basics.
- 9:45 – Examples of progressions with experienced athletes: “It’s a mistake to start back at zero. But it’s also a mistake to assume that the third year in a program puts them at level 3.”
- 12:00 – Examples of progressions with large groups and how to dial up and dial down exercises.
- 14:15 – Balancing long-term goals with short-term results.
- 17:15 – Using rest time to increase efficiency.
- 21:00 – Analogizing learning movement vs. language: “Youth learn languages faster than adults. It’s the same thing with movement. If you want a well-rounded athlete, let them learn young.”
- 27:30 – Cross-training and creating adaptable endurance athletes.
- 33:30 – Coaching athletes who have been in a training system for a long time: “Sometimes the progression isn’t in load, intensity, or volume. It’s in complexity and in how manny different movements are made in that setting.”
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- GAIN 2020 has shifted online, with a monthly interactive master class series. Learn more and sign up now. GAIN Alumni can also get access to all events by renewing their membership.
- This week’s episode is taken from the first master class event in May. You can watch the full class, including Vern’s lecture and the movement madness demonstration, on the GAIN website. Additional resources on the topic are also available on the event page.
- The next GAIN Master Class event in June will feature Stephen Seiler, our guest on the recent GAINcast 188. Learn more and sign up now.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- Some past GAINcast episode that also discuss similar topics: GAINcast 174: Foundational strength roundtable and GAINcast 173: Trainability.