Physical education is a hot topic in the athletic development world recently. Simply put, kids need more quality physical education. But what exactly does a good PE class look like? On this week’s episode coach and PE teacher Andy Stone takes us inside how he designs PE class, what coaches can learn from PE, and tips on teaching movement.
Notes and quotes
Andy Stone is a physical education teacher and wrestling coach at the Collegiate School in Richmond, Virginia. He is also a presenter at GAIN.
- 2:30 – Creating lockdown PE class: “A big focus of PE is wellbeing. Sport is different. But if you are teaching movement it will help with both.”
- 6:45 – Using variety to challenge athletes: “Learning is about memory. You have to pay attention to remember. Good variety does that. If you use variety in a smart way, they have to pay attention.” “Variety, precision, and progression are 3 elements in good workouts and PE classes. The variety piece is one we often miss.”
- 9:15 – Learning from lockdown.
- 14:15 – Assessment and PE.
- 19:00 – Lessons in good and bad teaching.
- 22:30 – Structuring a standard PE class.
- 28:00 – How to fix high school PE.
- 29:30 – What sport coaches can learn from PE: “Strength and conditioning coaches are really good at developing force, but not as much movement.”
- 34:30 – Where to start with gymnastics and tumbling.
- 38:15 – Making movement fun.
- 41:00 – Ideas for training contact sports without contact.
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
- This episode is brought to you by HMMR Plus. Become a member for full access to our videos, articles, and podcast archives. If you like this topic, check back in July as our site theme will be physical education.
- You can contact and follow Stone on Twitter (@andystonea).
- During the lockdown, Stone put together 9 weeks of home workouts. You can view them all on YouTube. James Marshall also has a series of educational gymnastics videos on YouTube that would carry over to other sports, including this one on rolls.
- The July GAIN Master Class will take place on July 23, with Greg Thompson discussing physical literacy. Stone and others will also join in with an in-depth panel discussion. Sign up here for the event, or for the whole season.
- For more on PE, check out GAIN Video 7: Foundations of movement and rhythm with Greg Thompson. In the member video, Thompson shares ideas on designing games, teaching rhythm, and student-designed games. You can also learn more on Epiosde 197 with with Greg Thompson and Episode Episode 175 with with James Marshall.
- Another article referenced in this episode: searching for smoothness.