Our focus in July has been physical education. Physical education has long defined society’s foundation of movement, and there is a lot that coaches in all areas can learn from it. Below is a summary of all the new resources we’ve put together on the topic, including 2 new videos, 2 new podcasts, and 7 new articles.
New video and podcasts
- GAIN Video 13: Teaching movement and rhythm with Greg Thompson. 2 practical demonstrations that break down how to teach different types of movement and rhythm.
- July Member Hangout Video: Planning and autonomy in PE with James Marshall, Andy Stone, Greg Thompson, Johnny Parkes, Martin Bingisser, and more.
- HMMR Podcast 226: Inside PE Class with Andy Stone
- HMMR Podcast 227: Warming up better with Johnny Parkes
- The warmup: where PE and athletic development meet by Andy Stone
- What PE can teach us about assessing movement by Martin Bingisser
- Learning from lockdown PE by James Marshall
- The value of controlled chaos by Martin Bingisser
- Physical education is movement education by Andy Stone
- Education as part of the reconditioning journey by Donie Fox
- Are you a teacher or a trainer? Lessons for S&C coaches from the PE classroom by James Marshall
- GAIN Video 7: Foundations of movement and rhythm with Greg Thompson – Greg Thompson shares examples from PE class on how to teach movement and rhythm.
- GAIN Video 2: Assessing trainability with Randy Ballard – One critique of physical literacy is that it can be hard to assess, as this example shows.
- Video Lesson 2: Warming up with Nick Garcia – A good warmup can tick a lot of the boxes that PE does.