Sport is about competition. Without games or races, training often has little meaning. Sports are being forced to reevaluate their structure due to the global pandemic, so it as good a time as any to rethink what we can get out of competition and how to organize it. Competition is about more than the final score and the more we set up competition to focus on that, the better. We share some thoughts and ideas on this week’s GAINcast.
Notes and quotes
- 1:30 – The dual meet as a solution to COVID-19.
- 3:30 – The value of competition: “Your competition is your test. It is the exam. Coaches are teachers and we need to expose athletes to why they are training. They are training to test themselves in the competitive environment and gauge improvement.”
- 4:30 – Martin and Vern’s experience with dual meets.
- 9:30 – Learning to compete: “The trend with top athletes is to compete less and less. You have to learn how to compete and the best way to do that is by competing.”
- 12:00 – Downsides of competing: “Don’t get us wrong, you need to compete, but the youth sports syndrome is not valuable competition.”
- 14:00 – What is competition: “The word competition comes means striving together with. If I compete with better people I will be better. I may not win, but I will be better.”
- 19:45 – Framing competitions and finding tactical as well as performance goals.
- 22:15 – Alternative competition formats
- 25:50 – Managing stress and competition load.
- 29:00 – Creating competitive experiences.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- GAIN 2020 has shifted online, with a monthly interactive master class series. Learn more and sign up now. GAIN Alumni can also get access to all events by renewing their membership.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more.
- Two past episodes also looked at competition: GAINcast 145 of transitioning from training to competition and GAINcast 122 explores competition management.
- Read some more thoughts on the dual meet from Vern.