Season 2 of the Jack Skille Show continues this week with former NHL star Mike Fisher as a guest. He talks about his decision to retire, finding purpose outside of hockey, transitioning to a new life, and starting his own brand.
- 0:00 – Introduction and starting his professional career
- 3:45 – Switching to Nashville.
- 6:00 – Contemplating retirement.
- 7:30 – Faith and retirement: “My identity can’t be locked up in just being a hockey player. That’s easy to say, but you have to go through the process to recognize that. Hockey became a god early in my career. If anything becomes a god, you’re always going to be disappointed.”
- 15:00 – Coming out of retirement: “Coming back from retirement is a win-win: either it reignites a flame in your heart, or it doesn’t and you know you made the right call to retire.”
- 17:15 – Catchin’ deers: “The lone wolf in the wild dies quickly. But a pack of strong men or women together are unstoppable.”
- 23:15 – Being idle: “Being idle is never good. We need something to do. People think pro players can just play golf and be happy, but you need to have a passion to follow.” “Everyone wishes they could retire early and sit on the beach, but most people when they retire and slow down they lose purpose. As people we all need a purpose.”
- 29:30 – Finding passions: “Have as many irons in the fire as possible, especially during a transition period. See what sticks.”
- 32:00 – Accepting a smaller role in life and stepping back from the limelight.
- 36:30 – Meeting Carrie Underwood.
- 40:30 – Life in the limelight and celebrity.
- 45:00 – Final thoughts and advice.