Vern is known as one of the most well read people in sport. In 2020 he ready 137 books. On this week’s GAINcast he shares his favorite books of the year, as well as some insights on the process of reading.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 3:15 – Reading tastes.
- 5:30 – Developing a passion for reading.
- 7:15 – How to read.
- 8:30 – Favorite book of 2020.
- 10:00 – Top 5 books for 2020.
- 13:30 – Additional books and sports-related book recommendations.
- 18:00 – A call for listener recommendations.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Our monthly GAIN Master Class Series features speakers from all aspects of performance. The series continues in January. Sign up now to get access to all past and future events in the series.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more. You can find an overview of the top HMMR content from 2020 here. Nick and Martin host the HMMR Podcast which you can subscribe to here.
- Find a complete list of Vern’s top books from 2020 in this article. For more book recommendations check out Craig Pickering’s top books of 2020, as well as Vern’s list from 2019.
- Here are links to the top five books discussed on this episode:
- Physical Intelligence: The Science of How the Body and the Mind Guide Each Other Through Life by Scott Grafton
- Apollo’s Arrow: The Profound and Enduring Impact of Coronavirus on The Way We Live by Nicholas A. Christakis
- Science Fictions – How Fraud, Bias, Negligence and Hype Undermine the Search for Truth By Stuart Ritchie
- Uncharted: How to Navigate the Future by Margaret Heffernan
- The Dead Are Arising: The Life of Malcom X by Les Payne and Tamara Payne