We’re bringing back our annual tradition to start off the year with a combined episode of the HMMR Podcast and GAINcast to discuss the state of training for sports. A lot has changed over the past year, so we sit down to discuss some of the biggest issues facing sports, how things looks going forward, and what we’re looking forward to in 2021.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 2:15 – Taking your BBQ skills to the next level.
- 6:15 – Corona excuses: “Corona exposes your mindset and culture, even more so during the second wave. Some people come with excuses on what they can’t do. Others find a way to do what they can.”
- 9:00 – Adjustments to training and how lockdown training has filled gaps.
- 14:30 – The future of monitoring and wellness questionnaires.
- 18:45 – Monitoring with large groups: “You can get a good gauge for the team by the energy level. Listen to the volume of training: if everyone is quiet, they’re probably pretty tired. If they are getting loud then they’ve got energy.”
- 21:00 – Switching team makeup to find leadership groups: “50 years ago I dreamed about measuring all the things we can now measure. But now I don’t know. We can measure a lot, but what do we do with it?”
- 28:45 – Olympic selection and 2021 Olympics.
- 35:30 – Lasting impacts of the pandemic on high school sports and the loss of the dual meet.
- 41:45 – Looking forward to new challenges in 2021.
To hear more on these topics, listen to the full episode above. Also be sure to subscribe to our podcast and review it on iTunes.
- This episode is brought to you by HMMR Plus. Become a member for full access to our videos, articles, and podcast archives.
- Our guest Vern Gambetta is the host of the GAINcast. Subscribe now if you haven’t already.
- We recorded similar episodes to kick off 2019 (Episode 188), 2018 (Episode 135), and 2017 (Episode 83).
- Adapting to COVID and lockdowns has been covered from several angles this year including our Episode 219 roundtable and Episode 225 about post-lockdown training.
- Monitoring has been a recurring theme over the last few months, with some input on the topic from Lachlan Penfold and Dan di Pasqua on Episode 238, Eddie Jones on GAINcast 204 and GAINcast 192 with Aaron Coutts and Franco Impellizzeri.
- Nick shard more about his passion for BBQ and brisket on Episode 228 and Episode 13.