We often think about the stimulus of key sessions or training phases. But more often than not adaptations come from the accumulation of training over the long-term. On this week’s episode we look at the cumulative training effect, the role of small doses of training stimulus, and how to connect sessions together to enhance the cumulative effect.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 3:00 – Cumulative effect of training: “We get the idea that we can train isolated systems, but they are all connected. So it’s only natural that all training is cumulative.”
- 7:15 – The Bill Knowles approach to micro-dosing: a dollar a day.
- 9:00 – A modular approach to training: “I use a modular-driven training system. Each module is 3-5 exercises around a certain emphasis.”
- 12:15 – Consistency.
- 14:15 – Recovery and confidence: “Microdosing requires confidence and an understanding of recovery. You have to have the confidence that small doses of trainign will add up. And you have to understand what you can recover from since there are certain things you just can’t repeat daily, even in small doses.”
- 16:15 – Battling monotony.
- 18:00 – The red zone, key workouts, and the influence of Stephen Seiler.
- 21:30 – The set up concept.
- 24:30 – Skill acquisition and interleaving: “The more we learn about skill acquisition, the more we see how microdosing also can help skill acquisition though concepts like interleaving.”
- 26:00 – Investing time in planning.
- 27:30 – Developing autonomy.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Our monthly GAIN Master Class Series features speakers from all aspects of performance. The series continues in February with a look at developing your own programming from Nick Garcia. Sign up now to get access to all past and future events in the series.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more. The February site theme is microdosing, with more content on the topic coming soon.
- For an example of microdosing, check out our latest video with Bill Knowles: GAIN Video 16 Philadelphia Union Warmup. Knowles also discusses more about the philosophy behind his approach on HMMR Podcast Episode 124.
- GAINcast 146 also looks in more detail about microdosing and individual session design.
- For more from Seiler about red and green zones of training, listen to his interviews on GAINcast Episode 188 and GAINcast Episode 104.
- The set up concept was detailed last week in an article from Vern.