Following a strength training template is easy. Taking it, making it your own, and adapting it to your program is the hard part. It’s an art, and one that Nick Garcia has mastered. On this week’s podcast he joins us to talk about a case study of how he took and integrated elements of the 1×20 methods to meet the needs of one sport. We also talk about post-lockdown training considerations and returning to competition.
Notes and quotes
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 3:45 – BBQ.
- 6:15 – General introduction to the Notre Dame High School program.
- 10:15 – Case study in setting up the 1×20 method for basketball: “I don’t go in there and say this is what you’re going to do. You need to talk to the head coach first, see how they want to play the game, and see what their vision of the game is.”
- 14:00 – Adapting the 1×20 method, fitting it into the annual plan, and knowing when to mess with a program.
- 22:45 – Vern’s take on the 1×20 method and gaining understanding: “If you’re going to add new things look at what what is it going to replace Is it better, you know and so.”
- 27:30 – Finding the purpose of a program and making it adaptable: “You have to have built in flexibility to be able to adapt the system to the athletes that you’re working with, and I think the biggest mistake that that that I’ve made is forcing athlete into a system.”
- 31:30 – Post-lockdown results boom and the eagerness to compete.
- 35:15 – Getting back to training and facing new competition demands.
- 43:30 – Tips for post-lockdown training and return to play.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Our monthly GAIN Master Class Series features speakers from all aspects of performance. If you like today’s podcast, you’ll like this month’s class. Nick Garcia will dive deeper into the genesis of his program at Notre Dame High School. Sign up now to get access to all past and future events in the series.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more. The February site theme is microdosing, with more content on the topic coming soon.
- You can follow Garcia on Twitter (@nick_g_garcia) and Instagram (@nick_g_garcia). He is the co-host of the HMMR Podcast and has been a guest on GAINcast 206, GAINcast 150, GAINcast 98, and GAINcast 46.