https://www.hmmrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/theme_mar21-1.jpg 472 900 Martin Bingisser http://www.hmmrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/HMMR-Full-Logo400.png Martin Bingisser2021-03-31 09:49:532021-04-02 02:23:11March 2021 in review: speed training
March 2021 in review: speed training
The site theme in March was speed. This isn’t the first time we looked in depth on speed, with site themes from 2019 and 2018 also focusing on the topic. This time we tried to learn more from the world of sprinting with 6 new articles, 3 podcasts, and 2 new videos that looked at topics ranging from sprint mechanics to technical progressions to training methodology. Below we have links to all our new and archived content on speed.
» Past themes: see a full archive of our past monthly themes here.
New Audio and Video
- Video Lesson 27: History of sprint training with PJ Vazel
- GAIN Video 17: Soccer speed with Vern Gambetta
- GAINcast 211: Speed for kids with James Marshall
- GAINcast 212: Speed to the max
- HMMR Podcast 244: Sprint strategies (with PJ Vazel) with PJ Vazel
- What sprint coaches can teach us about speed training by Martin Bingisser
- Coaching speed for children by James Marshall
- Speed 101: The essence of it by Vern Gambetta
- How to start out in teaching the sprint start by Martin Bingisser
- Sports Science Monthly March 2021: Speed edition by Craig Pickering
- What makes the difference in a championship? by Craig Pickering
- Peter Weyand discusses the difference makers in sprint mechanics on GAINcast 89.
- Ken Clark looks at the biomechanics behind linear and multi-directional speed on GAINcast 21 and HMMR Podcast 94, and advice from elite sprint coach Stuart McMillan on HMMR Podcast 202.
- Top high school coach Brian FitzGerald breaks down sprinting myths and training methods on HMMR Podcast 153 and GAINcast 139.
- Joe McNab on getting kids fast on HMMR Podcast 77 and a minimalist high school approach from Tony Holler on GAINcast 165.
- Jonas Tawiah-Dodoo on individualizing speed training on HMMR Podcast 72.
- Vern Gambetta explains speed on GAINcast 16, details an initial speed session on GAINcast 39, shares best practices getting faster GAINcast 115, and looks at team speed on GAINcast 164.
- GAIN Video 8: Total speed with Vern Gambetta
- HMMR Classroom Lesson 7: Robust Running with John Pryor
- HMMR Classroom Lesson 6: Basic Speed with Joe McNab
- HMMR Classroom Lesson 15: Hip lock with Frans Bosch
- Vern Gambetta put together a detailed three-part article series outlining the mechanics of sprinting: part one, part two, and part three.
- Sprinting: the ultimate strength training exercise by Martin Bingisser
- Does sprint training “inoculate” athletes against hamstring injuries? by Warren Young
- The anatomy of a team sports speed session by James de Lacey
- Training for the demands of curved sprinting by James de Lacey
- Track speed vs. team speed by Nick Lumley
- For sprinters, losing fat may be better than gaining muscle by Craig Pickering
Archived written interviews
- Pat Connolly discussed the training philosophy behind 100-meter world record holder Evelyn Ashford in our detailed interview.
- Gary Winckler walks through the training methods that produced his record setting hurdlers and sprinters.