https://www.hmmrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/karatekid.jpg 800 533 Vern Gambetta http://www.hmmrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/HMMR-Full-Logo400.png Vern Gambetta2015-02-02 06:38:052015-02-02 06:38:05Meditations on Teaching and Practice
Meditations on Teaching and Practice
I have been thinking a lot lately about what constitutes good teaching (Coaching) and practice. Yesterday after sitting through another long pointless sermon at mass and then going for a long walk afterward to think more about this here are some thoughts:
- Teach don’t preach – Know your message, keep it short, sharp and punctuated.
- Show don’t tell – Demonstrate and use video to show skills. Make it visual.
- Move – Get em moving to feel it. Make it a dance.
- The eyes don’t have it – Too often we see what we want to see “confirmation bias” not what is really happening.
- Coach the corrections – Give them an action to correct the fault.
- Drills do not equal skills – Less drills and more emphasis on the actual skills will improve skill the most.
- Teach to your strengths – Know your strengths and use them. Be yourself.
- Watch Karate Kid Part One – Best work on implicit learning I have ever seen! Wax on, wax off!
- Read Presentation Zen by Garr Reynolds – Learn how to get the message across like great presenters do.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!