As we did to kick off 2017, the HMMR Podcast and the GAINcast join forces to co-host the first episode of 2018. As the new year gets underway we chat about the state of training for sports together with the team from the HMMR Podcast. Our discussion covers a variety of topics like recruiting, whether athletic development is still undervalued, functional training, doping, and more.
Notes and Quotes
This episode has become an annual tradition where we share some rants, issues we have seen arise recently, and also take a step back to look at the progress in coaching. Below are highlights from the various topics we discussed on the episode:
- 3:45 – Are recruiters looking for the right things? Has recruiting gotten any better? “Recruiting hasn’t changed: recruiters still choose size instead of asking the tough questions .” “Despite all the moneyball and data, recruiting is just as backwards as it ever was. “
- 9:45 – The importance of character in recruiting. “Recruiting for grit works and it doesn’t take much effort, but coaches just aren’t trying it. “
Is athletic development undervalued?
- 15:15 – Are strength and conditioning coaches still undervalued? “Every NCAA team has a certified athletic trainer, but strength coaches are spread thin across too many athletes. ” “We need better professional organizations that should represent what athletic development is about. “
- 18:15 – Big salaries in athletic development. “You don’t judge the economy based on what the richest people make. Similarly we shouldn’t judge the profession based on what the top coaches earn. “
The stigma of functional training
- 19:45 – What is functional training? “Everything has a function; the question is how functional is it for you in your sport. ” “It’s hard to have a conversation on functional training since everyone has a preconceived notion of what it is and whether it works. “
- 24:45 – How do we reclaim the good parts of functional training?
- 28:15 – Rethinking “sports-specific” and teaching physical literacy.
- 32:15 – Has sport made progress on doping?
- 38:45 – Redefining the sporting culture. “We are talking about building team culture, but what also need to think about the sport culture. The sport needs to stop hanging out with the troubled kids. “
- 41:45 – Bettering the art of coaching and simply getting better.
- 43:45 – “Everyone is talking about the issues with the profession, but are you doing something about it? “
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Applications just opened for GAIN 2018. Learn more here and we’ll see you in Houston in June.
- Join HMMR Plus to get access to webinars, online meetups, articles, our sports science newsletter, and more. The January theme on HMMR Media is performance testing; stay tuned for brand new content from experts on the topic throughout the month.
- This episode also appeared this week as Episode 135 of the HMMR Podcast. You can learn more about the HMMR Podcast and listen to past episodes on its website and subscribe on iTunes.
- To hear our state of sport discussion from 2017, listen to Episode 83.
- Other episodes referenced were our guests Clay Erro (GAINcast 90 on relationships in coaching) and Des Ryan (GAINcast 96 on athletic development and the art of coaching).