The basics are crucial in training. If you don’t get the basics right then everything that follows will be compromised. But with all the talk of basics, what exactly are they? On this week’s GAINcast we look in depth at Vern’s eight key components of the basics, and related training factors.
Notes and quotes
We started off the episodes with some thoughts on the basics, before outlining each one, and some thoughts on where to go from there.
- 1:45 – Sergeant Joe Friday and focusing on just the facts.
- 3:30 – The basics, defined. “Never take anything for granted. Not every sport needs all the basics all the time, but the basics need to be touched at various intervals. “
- 5:30 – Introductory concepts. “Everything starts with walking gait. ” “Everything has to be built on a foundation. The basics are the building blocks of the foundation. You don’t tear the foundation down all the time, but you go back and reinforce it as necessary as the building grows. “
- 8:30 – Speed: starting speed, acceleration, maximum strength, and speed maintenance/endurance. “Start with speed since the speed is the defining quality that makes the difference in sport. “
- 10:15 – Agility: reaction/recognition, starting, first step, change of direction, stopping.
- 12:15 – Strength: relative strength, maximum strength, strength endurance.
- 13:30 – Power: plyometrics, throws, and power endurance.
- 14:15 – Endurance: aerobic capacity, anaerobic capacity, short-term, medium-term, long-term.
- 16:00 – Flexibility/mobility: static, dynamic.
- 16:45 – Warm up: active, continuous, dynamic.
- 18:00 – Recovery/regeneration, sleep, nutrition, and hydration.
The next steps
- 19:15 – Putting it together for your sport.
- 21:00 – Where coordination fits in: “Coordination is what’s behind the curtain. It brings everything together. “
- 23:15 – Examples of next level checklists for movement skills, baseball, hammer throw, and more.
- 29:00 – Work capacity vs. endurance.
- 31:45 – Final thoughts.
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The monthly theme on HMMR Media is the individualization, with numerous articles, podcasts, and videos looking at the topic from different perspectives. Join HMMR Plus so you don’t miss all the content on this topic.
- For a complete list of the basics, check out Vern’s blog post from last week.
- For a discussion of how to implement the basics, listen to GAINcast 85. We also talked about how the basics can be difference makers on GAINcast 14.
- Our October 2017 site theme was back to the basics. View all our resources on the topic here, including a member roundtable on doing the basics better.
- Vern has also put together a few other blog posts on the topic including the basics and mastery of the basics.