The start of the year means new goals and resolutions for athletes and coaches. Unfortunately, many goals are set at the start of the year and quickly forgotten thereafter. On this episode of the GAINcast we talk about not just how to set better goals, but some best practices on how to make the goals reality and achieve them.
Notes and quotes
- 2:30 – Experiences with goal setting in a team environment: “Isn’t the purpose of goals to change behavior? To change behavior we have to change habits. “
- 6:45 – Goals for measurement purposes: “Sports look at the business world for guidance on how to set good goals and KPIs, but they forget that the business world isn’t always focused on changing behavior. “
- 9:00 – Having a guiding light: “Whether you have a defined goal or not, you need to have a driving force pushing you towards something. “
- 12:00 – Goals as an educational tool and creating a dialogue.
- 15:00 – Finding routines and consistency: “It’s not about goal setting, it’s about goal achieving. “
- 19:00 – Outcome goals vs. process goals: “There’s nothing wrong with starting with an outcome goal and defining the process later as long as you evaluate your progress. Goals tend to be set and put in an envelope. No matter the type of goal, it has to be constantly analyzed. “
- 25:45 – Key takeaways on goal setting.
- 27:15 – Sharing your goals: “The fact of writing a goal down or sharing it is a positive step in the ability to achieve it. “
To hear more about these topics you can listen to the full episode above. If you like what you hear on the GAINcast, don’t forget to give us a review and subscribe on iTunes.
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- The GAINcast is brought to you by GAIN and HMMR Media. Applications for GAIN are now open and you can learn more here or at www.thegainnetwork.com. Also join HMMR Plus so that you don’t miss out and get full access to our video, article, and podcast archive here on HMMR Media.
- The HMMR Media site theme this month is goals. On the first GAINcast of the year we also shared some of our goals and Vern also wrote about the topic separately.
- Two articles on goal setting referenced in this post were What Mount Everest can teach us about goals by Craig Pickering. The second article, by me, wil lbe posted this week.
- A few books mentioned on this week’s episode: Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear, The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg, and The Golden Mile: Herb Elliott’s biography as told by Alan Trengove. Vern wrote about the last book in a blog post earlier this month.