For our March site theme, we turn our attention from jumping to throwing. This site started out focused on the throwing events in track and field: shot put, discus, javelin and the hammer throw. Over the past decade we have expanded the scope to cover training and coaching for a wide range of sports. But this month we returned to our roots by putting together 7 new articles, 4 new podcasts, and 2 new videos covering all 4 throwing events.
Below you’ll find links to all our new resources and some highlights from our archives on the topic. As always, become a Plus Member to make sure you get access to all of the vast resources on the site.
Resources on throwing
New video and podcasts
- Video Lesson 16: Specific strength framework for throwing with René Sack
- Video Lesson 17: Rotational throwing progressions with Nick Garcia
- HMMR Podcast 192: A star is born (with Kevin McMahon)
- HMMR Podcast 193: Aim high (with Dana Lyon)
- GAINcast 156: Chucking spears (with Steve Backley)
- GAINcast 157: Find the right fit (with John Baumann)
- Rethinking drills for the hammer throw by Martin Bingisser
- Why a technical philosophy is more important than a technical model by Martin Bingisser
- You haven’t taught until they’ve learned by Martin Bingisser
- Technical models, good technique, and finding your style by Nick Garcia
- Balancing power and skill in the throwing events by Warren Young
- Moving beyond dynamic correspondence by Martin Bingisser
- Proficiency through progressions by Nick Garcia
Archived Podcasts – coaches
- University of Georgia’s Don Babbitt: Episode 116 and Episode 170
- German national coach Rene Sack: Episode 79 and Episode 236
- New Zealand national coach Dale Stevenson: Episode 66 and Episode 121
- North Dakota State’s Justin St. Claire: Episode 105
- University of Michigan’s Jerry Clayton: GAINcast 86
- USC’s Dan Lange: Episode 148
- UCLA’s John Frazier: Episode 179
- LSU’s Greg Watson: Episode 64
- Dave Wollman: Episode 44
- Jamaican coach Julian Robinson: Episode 155
- Sweden’s Mattias Jons: Episode 185
- Top high school coach Tony Ciarelli: Episode 28
Archived podcasts – throwers
- Olympic shot put champion Adam Nelson: Episode 42
- World champion shot putterers Reese Hoffa (Episode 98) and John Godina (Episode 46)
- Olympic hammer throw champion Szymon Ziolkowski: Episode 122
- US hammer throw champions Kevin McMahon (Episode 9) and Kibwe Johnson (Episode 70)
- Commonwealth Games discus champion Benn Harradine: Episode 26
- Four-time discus Olympian Aretha Thurmond: Episode 166
- Video Lesson 9: specific strength for throwing
- Video Lesson 10: explaining hammer throw technique, as well as videos on how to stay low and increasing double support.
- Member hangouts on accelerating the hammer and hammer throw orbit with Sergej Litvinov and Kevin McMahon. Read some highlights here and here
- Specific strength exercises for the shot put, javelin, and hammer throw.
- Using different speeds, multiple implements, and games in training.
- Hammer throw technique: what makes the hammer unique and Litvinov’s thoughts on learning how the ball moves.
Archived written interviews
- Our favorite: former world record holder Jüri Tamm (and again from Tamm)
- Jean-Pierre Egger on his coaching philosophy
- Vésteinn Hafsteinsson on training Olypmic discus champion Gerd Kanter
- Olympic champions Primoz Kozmus, Mac Wilkins, and Adam Nelson
- Don Babbitt on individualizes training and the spin vs. the glide.
- US champions Kevin McMahon and Ed Burke reflect on their experiences
- International throwers Marcel Lomnicky, Kathrin Klaas and Eric Cadee